Crawley march on towards the play-offs

Posted Sunday, February 18, 2018 by PA

Crawley march on towards the play-offs

Crawley recorded five successive home wins for the first time in the English Football League with a deserved 3-1 victory over fellow play-off hopefuls Lincoln.

After Matt Green had cancelled out Jimmy Smith’s early opener, Josh Payne and Mark Connolly scored to take Town to within two points of the League Two play-off positions.

Lincoln had boss Danny Cowley sent to the stands as they tumbled to their first defeat since New Year’s Day.

Enzio Boldewijn had a deflected shot flash across the face of the goal before Crawley broke the deadlock in the 15th minute.

Defender Lewis Young cut inside to smash a tremendous shot against the crossbar and skipper Smith was on hand to tap in the rebound from close range.

Lincoln had a let off in the 28th minute when, from a cross by Karlan Ahearne-Grant, Boldewijn blazed wastefully over at the far post.

Boldewijn later set up Ahearne-Grant in front of goal, but his low shot was saved by keeper Ryan Allsop with his legs.

As the players came in for the half-time interval, Cowley was sent to the stands by referee Trevor Kettle following an altercation with Smith.

Tom Pett volleyed against the bar before Lincoln levelled seven minutes after the interval when leading scorer Green struck.

But Crawley hit back to restore their lead when Scott Wharton pulled Boldewijn in the area and Payne calmly stroked home the resulting penalty in the 67th minute.

Defender Connolly sealed a fine victory five minutes later, forcing the ball home at the far post from a free-kick by substitute Jordan Roberts.


Attention: Third parties may advertise their products and/or services on our website.7M does not warrant the accuracy, adequacy or completeness of their contents.
Your dealings with such third parties are solely between you and such third parties and we shall not be liable in any way for any loss or damage of any sort incurred by you.